Latest reburial marks end of long, strange journey for Barrack Hill remains
They were buried, then abandoned, then likely dug up and unceremoniously dumped under Queen Street, only to be rediscovered by perplexed construction workers nearly two centuries later.
Tomorrow, the remains of seven of Bytown's earliest settlers — four adults and three children including a tiny infant — will finally be laid to rest at Beechwood Cemetery, where they will join those of more than 100 others.
They were originally interred at Barrack Hill Cemetery, a roughly one-hectare plot bounded by what's now Sparks, Elgin, Albert and Metcalfe streets. But Bytown was booming in the early 19th century, and by 1845 the demand for land forced the cemetery's closure.