From Vimy Ridge to Harrington Lake - Col Cameron MacPherson Edwards

Col Cameron MacPherson Edwards

- Section 50, Lots 121 S, 129 -

Born at North Nation Mills, Quebec on September 28, 1881, Cameron MacPherson Edwards was educated at McGill University before beginning his military career. This career, which spanned over 50 years, included active service in both wars, for which he was awarded the French Medal of Honour, the British War & Victory Medals and the Canadian War Medal.

Edwards was the youngest colonel in France during the First World War and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for gallantry in action in France. He became the commanding officer of the 38th Battalion in January of 1915, and was wounded at Vimy Ridge in 1917. After WWI ended, he took command of the Cameron Highlanders and the Ottawa Regiment, and eventually served as the regiment’s Honorary Colonel.

On the civilian side, Edwards was a very successful lumberman by trade, as well as one of the founders of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires and a chairman of the Salvation Army advisory board.

The Corps of Commissionaires recognized his dedicated service by naming its headquarters on Lisgar Street the Edwards building, and in 1947 the Salvation Army bestowed upon him the Army’s Order for Distinguished Auxiliary Service. At that time, Edwards was one of only five Canadians and 45 persons throughout the world holding that order. Edwards also briefly resided at 24 Sussex Drive, before it became the Prime Minister’s residence.

His uncle, William Cameron Edwards bought it from its original builder, Joseph Merrill Currier (both of whom are buried at Beechwood), and his brother, Gordon Cameron Edwards, inherited it after the elder Edwards passed away in 1921. Oddly enough, Col Edwards’ summer cottage, Harrington Lake, which he had built in the 1920s, is now the official country residence of the Prime Minister.

Edwards passed away on June 18, 1959.

Edwards crypt


Related items